Friday, July 29, 2005

yikes - wake me up next time!

Had one of those dreams last night where I think there's someone in the room, and try to wake up to talk to them, but can't ... and try hollering to wake myself up, but it doesn't work.

Once when traveling with a friend, she told me I yelled in my sleep, so I know it DOES happen. Today I'm wondering if I was screaming bloody murder, and ought to apologize to a neighbor or two!

I was thinking about the last half of Exodus 28:30 last night & this morning:

And thou shalt put in the breastplate of judgment the Urim and the Thummim; and they shall be upon Aaron’s heart, when he goeth in before the LORD: and Aaron shall bear the judgment of the children of Israel upon his heart before the LORD continually.

That last phrase struck me ... what would it be like to "bear the judgment" on my heart continually? How would I be different if I was always remembering that the people around me are eternal creatures ... who will be judged if they don't accept the alternative?

We read this C.S. Lewis quote in prayer meeting Tuesday morning, and I thought it applied to this:

It is a serious thing to ... remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere moral. Nations, cultures, arts, civilization -- these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snug and exploit -- immortal horrors or everlasting splendors. -- C.S. Lewis



No comments: