Thursday, July 28, 2005

what do I smell?

I was reading in Exodus 30 last night & this morning.

It's talking about the incense & perfumes that would be used in the tabernacle. Israel was told never to mimic the same formula to use on themselves or in their homes. God's things, and His places were supposed to smell different ...

People's homes often have a distinctive scent ... neither unpleasant nor pleasant ... just distinctive.

God wanted that for HIS house, the tabernacle. When that scent was perceived, people's thoughts would turn to Him.

In 2 Corinthians 2:15 it says that Christians "are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing."

God wants His people to have a distinctive "fragrance" also. When someone meets me, I want to remind them of Christ. When someone who doesn't know Jesus meets me, I hope they're reminded of "great Aunt Susan, who belived kind of like you do."

It's so easy to get caught up in temporary problems & irritations (ugh - like that awful experience when I went to check out Escape Fitness Tuesday), and forget that I'm an ambassador for Another. That is far more important than personal offenses!

Trinka

No comments: