Tuesday, July 05, 2005

be ready to get out of Egypt

It was a pleasantly productive weekend ... it's nice to have extra time to get things crossed off my "to do" list.

I got to the gym Saturday and increased the weights I'm lifting (and can STILL feel the consequences in my arms). Had a long walk on all the other days.

I'm looking at bicycles, thinking maybe I could start riding to work & church ... save a little money in gas, make my car last a bit longer, AND get myself moving.

A family at church gave me a bike, but it has curled-under handlebars -- just going a couple miles, my wrists were aching from resting forward on them. I'm going to do some looking today to see if I can replace the handlebars with something that will let me sit up straight. The rear brake doesn't work, either, so I've got to learn how to replace it.

I've been reading in Exodus 12 - the original passover. It's been a blessing to look at all the parallels between that passover, and the Lord Jesus' sacrifice as our passover Lamb.

Last night, I was thinking about how the Lord told the Jews to eat that passover meal -- He had them come to the meal all dressed and ready to leave - even carrying their walking sticks.

When we become Christians, it's kind of like that for us too ... He's going to be bringing us out of our old life, and into a new one. And we'd better be ready to hit the road quick! We can't get OURSELVES out of Egypt. No matter how we try, the chains of that slavery can't be broken by our own efforts. But when we ask GOD to do it ... we'd better be prepared for things to start happening!

Trinka

1 comment:

Carol L said...

The first time I realized that Israel's deliverance from the bondage in Egypt is a perfect type and shadow of the Lord Jesus' salvation for us, I tell you it was such an eye-opener! And it is such a perfect type and shadow!

Just like Pharaoh letting the children of Israel go because he had been defeated and had no choice then chasing after them again at the Red Sea, it's just that way when we get freed from sin and the bondage of sin. The devil lets loose his hold because he is defeated and has no choice, but that doesn't stop him from turning right around and going after us to destroy us if he can and/or bring us back into bondage again.

But it all works to our good and God's glory and only serves to further eliminate his hold on us and reinforce our complete and total freedom from the captivity he once held us in so long as we just keep our eyes on Jesus and we keep on trucking in the way Jesus made for us.

Hallelujah!!!