Monday, May 01, 2006

oooh ... now that quote stings

I was just proofreading an article that contained the following quote:

The matter is quite simple. The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand we are obliged to act accordingly. Take any words in the New Testament and forget everything except pledging yourself to act accordingly. My [God], you will say, if I do that my whole life will be ruined. How would I ever get on in the world?

Herein lies the real place of Christian scholarship. Christian scholarship is the church's prodigious invention to defend itself against the Bible, to ensure that we can continue to be good Christians without the Bible coming too close. Oh, priceless scholarship, what would we do without you? Dreadful it is to fall into the hands of the living God. yes, it is even dreadful to be alone with the New Testament. -- Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard
Well ... if THAT isn't a description of what I don't ever want in my life. God can be trusted, and if my own reason, or society's conventions, or political correctness contradict ... it's God who created this place, and all in it ... and He knows how it's designed to function. I want to choose Him!

***

The job Saturday didn't happen - they had enough people before they got to my name. I said I'd be interested if it comes up again though! I did get to the gym to lift weights and bat a racquetball around some on Saturday, and yesterday walked Riverside Park with a friend (4.47 miles from her door, through the park, and back again.)

While walking the park, I was looking over at the river and daydreaming about kayaks ...

If only I could get one to FIT in my car. I hate the idea of spending money on a roof rack that will just mar the paint, and be difficult for short-little-me to actually USE. I'm going to do a bit more investigation on the geometry available with the seats folded down in my car!

Trinka

2 comments:

Carol L said...

Hey, it just occurred to me...The ocean kayaks look like they're way smaller than those freshwater things I used to see...maybe you should come out here to SoCal and check them out!

A standing ovation for KierkegaardWell!!! Bravo!!! Hallelujah!!! Seriously doing cartwheels here!

Anonymous said...

You talk the talk but can you walk the walk? Matthew 5:33 tells you to don't take a false oath. Luke 18 tells you to give all your money away to the poor. Can you do it? Can you follow Him?