Saturday, May 20, 2006

The perfect travel-related quotation

I just started reading Around the World in 80 Travel Tales (while sitting in the sunshine on my newly-cleaned, newly-house-plant-populated balcony).

In the introduction was a quote from Lao Tzu (don't know who he is ... but will Google his name eventually and find out):

A traveler should neither have fixed plans nor be intent on arriving at his destination.

I think that sums it up perfectly! The ladies I travel with have mastered this, and it's what makes it such a joy.

Flat tire after midnight? An adventure.
Near misses with disaster? An opportunity to praise God for His protection.

I think of so many serendipitous instances that never would have come to be, if not for that attitude ... ending up at the Grand Canyon on a snowy Easter morning as a boys' choir's singing echoed off the canyon walls, discovering unpopulated beaches and meeting hospitable strangers with open homes ... God is just so good to me!

AND my windows are washed. :) (Well ... I can't reach out far enough to wash ALL of the big front one, and I'm too high up for a ladder ... so the left and right sides are washed. The middle is a bit iffy. )

Trinka

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your comments about Ruth, about the times and places, then to nothing. Very cool.

Clifford Jeffery said...

Tape a towel to a broom stick to get the high windows. If that doesn't work, ask Larry to do it.

Trinka said...

Problem is ... there's an awning over that window, AND the one directly below it ... so you can't stand, or put a ladder, underneath.

I tried to scrub the under-side of awning (I hate the bloomin' thing - it blocks half my window, and looks ugly). I hate it less now that it's a LITTLE bit clean ... but I'd love to get it a LOT clean. Or better yet ... get it GONE. Why would anyone with so few windows want to cover one up with a metal awning? Weird.

Carol L said...

Is the awning part of the outside facade of the whole design? In other words, is it optional for you?

Trinka said...

Nope carol ...

ugly awning is definately not optional - wish it was!

I need to get a tall ladder and see if it can at least be raised up.

Trinka