Friday, May 05, 2006

no kayaks for me :(

The shortest one I can find is 9 feet, 4 inches ... and the longest possible thing I could get in my car is 8 feet, 6 inches. BOTHER! I do love the things! As far as I can tell, a roof rack would add $250 to the cost of an already-stretching-myself purchase.

So I suppose I'll air up the tires on my bicycle and stay on land! :)

Got in a walk tonight, and a short one last night out along the Lake Michigan shoreline. It was just beautiful.

Clifford ... No. Don't eat the ice cream! It's not worth it! Celery man ... celery is where it's at! :)

No consequences followed my failure to organize an ice cream social ... the other board members appeared to have forgotten it was my responsibility last month and assigned it to someone else this month. Which ... really ... is a good thing. Trinka chairing the social committee was a recipe for failure from the very beginning.

Picture of living in a building with elderly people:
I was just down putting in 3 loads of laundry (we have 3 machines), and a lady walked in, telling me that she was "doing one load at a time."

OK, I think. How nice for you.

Later I realized, "oh, she was asking to use one of the machines."

I went up to her place to apologize, and she informed me that there was a "rule" that you could only use 2 machines at once.

Hmmmm ... I've lived here 3 years ... haven't read that one yet. :)

You occupy the machines for the same amount of time, whether you do it all at once, or stagger it ... plus you're harder to predict if you stagger it.

I have noticed that "rules" seem to multiply in the presence of elderly folks, though! :)

She had just moved in and heard about the "rule" from one of the other ladies. I told her that it probably wasn't anything to worry about (after I made my apology for not understanding her point earlier!)

Groan! :)

off to get my laundry now! (all 3 loads)

Trinka

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

You don't want a short kayak, you want a long one. Kinda fat is good too. If you get one at a general sports store, they are usually cheaper than a kayak store. But you don't put it IN your car. You put a rack on top of your car, then put it on the rack.
It's good to have a rack wide enough for two kayaks, that way if you go on a river with another kayaker, you can put your car at one end, and their's at the other end.
Did that make sense?
We've got a yakima rack that might fit your car. Go to yakima.com and tell them what kinda' car you got. Then let me know what clips you need and such.

Carol L said...

LOL! Priceless.