Wednesday, August 03, 2005

splat

Let me just say ... the health department would condem my place if they could see the kitchen right now.

Last night I was SO sleepy ... on my way to bed, I reached into the fridge for some cool water to take along with me, and I knocked over a container of coffee creamer.

hence the title of this post ...

Who knew it could spray so far, and so widely?

A goodly portion of my kitchen is coated in sticky, french-vanilla-scented goo.

I couldn't bear the thought of staying awake long enough to thoroughly clean it up last night ... so I just went over everything with a dish cloth.

But ... really ... it's seriously sticky in there ... walls, floor, counters, inside the fridge ... diligent attention needs to be paid.

Saves me the trouble of deciding what to do after prayer meeting tonight. :)

I was reading in Exodus about the burnt offerings that were to be sacrificed on the new altar. It says that "all that touches the altar shall be holy." I was thinking how, when we give anything to Him, it becomes holy. It's such an amazing thing ... no matter what awful thing we give Him ... it gains a luster from the simple fact that we gave it to Him.

One of my favorite poems:

Peerless Worth(Song 5:9-16)

Hast thou heard Him, seen Him, known Him?
Is not thine a capturedheart?
Chief among ten thousand own Him,
Gladly choose the better part.

Idols once they won thee, charmed thee,
Lovely things of time and sense;
Gilded, thus does sin disarm thee,
Honey'd, lest thou turn thee thence.

What has stripped the seeming beauty
From the idols of the earth?
Not the sense of right or duty,
But the sight of peerless worth.

Not the crushing of those idols,
With its bitter void and smart;
But the beaming of His beauty,
The unveiling of His heart.

Who extinguishes his taper
'Till he hails the rising sun?
Who discards the garb of winter
'Till the summer has begun?

'Tis that look that melted Peter,
'Tis that face that Stephen saw,
'Tis that heart that wept with Mary,
Can alone from idols draw.

Draw and win and fill completely,
Till the cup o'erflow the brim:
What have we to do with idols,
Who have companied with Him?

No comments: