Monday, August 22, 2005

bird-filled weekend



OK ... first-off, the accountability part ... no exercise happened this weekend, and WAY too much chocolate was ingested. I barely opened my Bible. Yep. No successes in any area to report.

I love birds. And this weekend I went to my mom & step-dad's over night Saturday. They live in the country and feed birds, including hummingbirds, and there were so many beautiful ones to watch. One of the hummers flew into a window, and died. And while it was sad to see it dead, it was also fascinating to look at it up close ... the pattern on the feathers, and how light it was. It's amazing how God can pack such intricate design into a tiny little creature. Above is a picture.

They had an unusual bird come around - a yellow-billed cuckoo ... I'd never seen one of them before. Also while I was there a flock of 6 sandhill cranes flew over.

We went to see March of the Penguins (more birds!). It was a terrific movie -- totally clean, and fascinating for any age. I'd recommend it.

A couple more pleasant, nature-type things over the weekend ... on our way back to their cabin in the woods, a squirrel raced us all the way down the lane. And when she opened her patio umbrella, there was a little frog perched inside. It apparently spends the nights there, and goes off during the day to do whatever frogs do. Above is a picture of that little guy.

That's all for me this fine day. Off to the gym tonight, and back on the diet bandwagon. :)

Trinka

3 comments:

Bill & Glory said...

Oh, you didn't just post a picture of a DEAD bird!!! That makes me so incredibly sad, especially since Othello has been out catching mice and, very likely, munching on little birds as well.

I am taking a "me" day, today, and enjoying every moment of it. Soon I will have to get some laundry done and tidy up a bit before Bill gets home.

God bless!
Glory

Trinka said...

Yeah ... I was kinda afraid people would have that reaction. :) She WAS much prettier alive. I just found it fascinating to have the chance to really look at her.

(Promise ... I've never taken pictures of any other corpses, ever, and don't intend to start it as a hobby now!) :)

Trinka

Anonymous said...

He's not dead,
He's pining...
for the Fjords
"Look, he just moved!"