Saturday, October 15, 2005

why pop music doesn't offend me

At the gym this morning (patting self on back), I was listening to a classic rock station they had playing.

I am not musical ... I have no gifts in this area other than a love for poetry, which translates into a love for lyrics ... but I'm not sensitive to tone like many are.

So, this song is playing, and I thought, "I should just try listening to the words, and seeing what it's about."

This is what non-musical me got from it:

Out here in the fields
(so far, so good, right? Sounds like the start of a ballad or something.)

blah blah blah my eels

yep ... that's the closest I could come to picking out actual words. From this point, it got totally unintelligible, until the line:

I need to ask forgiveness

OK. What for? Maybe the eels were served sureptitiously to guests or something?

Oh well ... so much for my foray into pop culture. At least the music isn't planting disgusting stuff in my brain - I don't even understand it. :)

Though as I was leaving there was one playing with a man saying again and again,
I've got her under my thumb.

Hmmm ... this sounds to me like a rock singer who probably does NOT get many dates. :)

Male rock singer: "wanna go out Friday night?"

Lady remembering the "under my thumb" song): "No. I was planning to use a do-it-yourself eyeball transplant kit I got through the internet."

:)

Anyhow, I know we bloggers are expected to comment on pop culture. I suppose that's the best you're gonna get from me.

Trinka

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

With classic rock its helpful to remember that when the rocker refers to an unidentified "her" or "she," he is actually refering to his favorite drug, not an actual woman:)

Trinka said...

ahhh ... that would explain the non-reaction of the students.

Having BEEN a student at this fine institution, I know that we must ALWAYS be VERY careful not to offend the feminists.

Feminists have very delicate, easily-wounded sensibilities.

Carol L said...

I know the song you're thinking about,

Out here in the fields
I fought for my meals
I get my back into my giving/living (not sure which it is)
I don't have to fight
To prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yea-heah

Don't cry
Don't raise your eye
It's only teenage wasteland

Blah, blah, etc., etc.,

Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland, oh yeah
Teenage wasteland
They're all wasted!!

Then goes the Peter Townsend guitar solo, then the famous violin solo, etc., etc.,

Prolly not the healthist stuff to be floating around in the brain matter, but these songs just won't go away from my memory bank from way back...

Yeah, my dad used to tell me if I'd work as hard to learn my math as I did the words to songs I'd really be going somewhere. I'm sure I was concerned as a younger kid, but then as I got older and got to be a teenager I was probably looking at him like, 'What're you nuts? Do you have any idea how much these guys have raked in on just this one song? I'm pretty sure my math teacher isn't pulling anything near what this guy makes on just one hit song!'

In actual fact, most rock stars don't have any trouble getting dates. Actually even guys in bands do alright with "picking up chicks." Some of these guys, though, do have serious issues when it comes to actually maintaining any meaningful and lasting relationships.

Chow,
Carol :)