Wednesday, October 12, 2005

has anyone seen an escaped cricket?

I just couldn't resist ... really.

At the funeral home Sunday, I was visiting with B.'s parents.

B. is my upstairs neighbor.

They asked if I had heard loud pounding coming from B.'s apartment late one night.

Yes. In fact, I had.

They went on to say that B. has a strong dislike for bugs, and she was trying to kill a stubborn cricket one night - by pounding it with a broom handle.

Now, I have no particular animosity towards crickets, in fact, I like the sound they make. I really couldn't resist the opportuinity ...

Monday morning, I left the following note on B.'s door:

Have you by any chance seen my pet cricket? He got away a few days ago,
and I know they tend to travel upwards ... Trinka :)

I thought, just in case she didn't automatically realize that people didn't normally keep crickets as pets, the smiley face would have led her in that direction.

Apparently not ... she called her father in a panic, wondering what on earth she could tell me about the cricket assassination. Fortunately her father remembered the previous day's conversation!

On a more serious note, I was reading the following news article this morning: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20051011/D8D62SSG3.html

Stevie Wonder is lamenting the lack of love in our society.

It's amazing to me that people SEE the problem, and assume it must be tackled by addressing the surface issues.

Yet, there seems to be no consideration of the roots!

The issue isn't people being rude on the bus, or not holding the door for little old ladies.

The issue is that hearts are becoming more and more self-involved, and respect for human life is dwindling.

Why is this?

Not because we don't have plenty of exhortations to love each other and be kind to each other. The culture is quite well-supplied with that kind of message.

It's because our hearts need a radical change, in order to have others' needs ahead of our own. Society won't be changed, unless the change first starts with God working in hearts. That's the ONLY answer. (Though I still think voting Republican is a good plan.) :)

Got to the gym last night, and didn't feel sick. Yippee! The body seems to be cooperating again.

Trinka

1 comment:

Carol L said...

It's amazing, too, that people think that love can be legislated. If the album is filled with song after song crying out to Love Himself, God, with all of his heart for a change in people's hearts, then he's getting somewhere. If not, then he's just spinning his wheels.

Have you had a chance to talk to B yet about the demise of the cricket?

Lol...too much!

Love ya,
Carol :)