Wednesday, October 19, 2005

well, THAT's done

This is the first time I've ever had a car with a door-and-trunk-unlocker doo-dad (I mean, other than the key). :)

It also has one of those panic buttons. I just KNEW eventually I'd hit the thing and be one of those people everyone stares at in parking lots.

Got that one out of the way this morning at the grocery store before work.

Fortunately I got it shut off before too many people noticed!

This morning the greeter at the store told me she thought I was losing weight.

I found this interesting not because I actually HAVE lost weight (still fighting the battle). I was wearing the "have you lost weight" capri pants. (of which, I now have 4 pairs ... for that very reason).

I found it intersting because she remembered me.

Whenever anyone says, "how are you," I have been making a concerted effort for the last few years to stop. Look them in the eye, and give a pleasant answer. Then ask them the same question and really listen to what they say.

And this lady remembered me.

I live my life in such a state of rush - always trying to fit as much into every free moment as possible. Yet how long does it take to stop and have a pleasant conversation with the lady at the grocery store?

Maybe 30 seconds?

It's worth it.

Got to the gym last night, though I skipped the bicep machine because the incredibly sweaty guy before me hadn't cleaned it off, and it was just too gross to deal with. :)

I was reading in the section of the Old Testament (Numbers, maybe? Forgot to look. This chronological Bible gets me confused about where I'm reading sometimes!).

The Jews were on their journey from Egypt to Israel, and the Lord had them send spies into Israel to bring back some of the fruit of the land. And it was amazing -- bigger than they could have possibly imagined.

I'm also studying the fruit of the Spirit in the Christian's life - love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, self-control.

I wonder if God also causes people who aren't yet residents of the promised land (who haven't yet given their lives to God), to come amongst Christians and look around a little.

Do they get a taste of the fruit in our lives? Is it so extraordinary that they leave still thinking about it? Does it show them that this is a place that God has blessed? Do they want to move in?

Something I can ask for in my life!

Got the chance to have a long walk at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids last Friday. It was just so lovely - the leaves were turning, and the sun was sparkling on the river. I saw a blue heron catching his dinner, and a duck and a squirrel arguing over the same acorn (duck won). Such a beautiful world we live in!

(Yes. I admit it. I do live within driving distance of Grand Rapids...Have I mentioned my doberman and gun collection? Gotta tell you all about them one day).

Trinka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can a convicted felon have a gun collection?
Oh well, those charges were trumped up anyway. How could anyone bludgeon a man to death with a spoon?
My secret word was "lurnbc".

Trinka said...

Hey - I was innocent.

EVERYONE in prison is innocent. Just ask them. :)