Thursday, June 09, 2005

then God steps in

Good morning,

Actually got myself out for a walk after prayer meeting last night. This, my friends, is a small miracle. If I don't do it after work, it rarely gets done. Also had a delightful paddle around the pool. I'm finding that after 9:00, it's usually empty. But it doesn't close until 10:00. So that's the time to sneak down there. I like swimming, but definately prefer it in a non-shrieking atmosphere. :)

C. called while I was walking last night - if there were no other argument for cell phones, the ability to take an evening stroll in Michigan while visiting with a friend in New Brunswick would be a worthwhile reason to have one.

I was reading in Genesis this morning - the story where Jacob gradually became rich as he looked after Laban's flocks. It goes into great detail about how Jacob gained his wealth.

At the end, though, God reminds him of their last meeting together, and the vow Jacob made - In Genesis 31:13, God in a dream says to Jacob, "I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar, where you made a vow to Me; now arise, leave this land, and return to the land of your birth.’"

After a meeting with God, we can so easily slip back into our ordinary lives, and re-adopt our selfish priorities. But He'll remind us. He'll draw us out ... Jacob's got another encounter with God on the horizon, but it's not going to happen here with Laban.

Trinka

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time ever, the impact of it really hit me that God is the one who blessed Jacob and multiplied him in his herds. I always realized that God is the one who gave Jacob the idea to propose to Laban that he be allowed to cull the speckled and the spotted to start a herd with.

But, just now, as I was reading your entry, it dawned on me that Jacob's wealth by the time he left Laban was supernatural. In the natural course of events that would NOT happen! People who do other people's menial tasks do not get wealthy in doing so. It just doesn't happen like that in what some would call "real life."

I don't know why it struck me, but it did. God making Israel's forefathers rich has never really been something that impacted me anything like this before.

I mean, I always thought that one had to be in a position of being an independent business owner, or something along those lines, in order for that to happen, but God sets a precedence with Jacob that even in being in the position of being a slave, one can become wealthy that God may establish His covenant.

I used to have my heart set on riches because I've pretty much always lived in a relative poverty state. Somewhere along the lines, however, these things lost their pull and their appeal. I eventually just got so hungry for God and for every blessing of His presence in my life that it was like, 'You want to do this for me, and I appreciate it, but if you're not with me, and if I run the risk of forsaking You in obtaining any of it, none of it means anything.' In all actually, I reached the place where I didn't want it if God wasn't in it because, first of all, it would destroy me, but, most of all, without Him absolutely everything is meaningless and empty. Still, I am aware that God has a covenant to establish, and that covenant includes making His people flourish that the Gospel may go forth, and the kingdom of heaven may be replenished in the earth. I've known for quite some time that's what the wealth is for.

Trinka, I always appreciate your posts. The Lord seems to highlight and point out things from the things you share that you draw from His Word. Thank you so much for sharing that here. The Lord bless you in your diligence to get healthy - and in every other endeavor as well. But most of all, the Lord bless you and grace you with Himself, His being, His presence - for there is no greater treasure.

For the Lord is good, and His mercy endures forever.

Love,
Carol :)

Trinka said...

Thank you so much Carol. I love having someone to "discuss" the Scriptures with. :) Your thoughts are a blessing!

Intersting that God blessed Jacob WHILE he was scheming and trying to do it for himself. We all know that his methods weren't what caused the cattle to increase. Yet even though he was taking the credit, God continued to bless Him.

He is just so good to us ... even when we're determined to take all the credit.

Trinka

Anonymous said...

Yes, He is so good to us! He must know something we don't...Ya think??? Lol... :D ;)

I enjoy talking over the scriptures with you as well. :)

Love,
Carol :)