Wednesday, June 29, 2005

beware the wrath of the pool-rope police

Still exercising ... still reading ... just finding it hard to post much this week!

My condo has a lovely pool. It's clean. It's heated.

But it has a secret danger. The pool-rope police.

I must first explain that my condos have many, many rules. I don't mind rules, really. I appreciate an orderly, polite society, and rules are a part of making that happen. Among my condos' many sheets of rules is one solely related to the pool. OK. I can live with that.

(Except for "you must wear shoes when entering and exiting the pool area." Because. Really. Quit being silly. The sidewalk is not going to be damaged by my bare feet.)

Anyhow, all that is to say, there is also an unwritten rule.

I discovered this one day when I (horrors!) removed the rope that divided the shallow from the deep water to swim laps.

I was alone in the water at the time, but two ladies who were sunbathing recoiled in near-panic.

"Oh. No. You must not remove the rope. Children could drown!"


Looking around ...

"but there are no children here. Maybe I could just replace the rope if children come?"

"No. No! We will lose our insurance if you remove the rope. You must never remove the rope!!!!"

Oh dear.

So ... now ... I keep watch from my balcony, until all the people go home, and THEN I practice subversive rope-removal (often under cover of darkness).

I expect eventually I will be caught and imprisoned. :) Please visit me in prison, or at least send me instant coffee.

As much as I laugh at the poor, fearful, pool-rope-police ladies -- don't I do the same thing?

Change is scary. I don't like it!

No one should move away. No one should die. Everything I care about should stay JUST the same. Remember Beth from little women? I'm Beth. :)

The ladies are a good reminder to me that when God throws change my way, I need to take a deep breath, and praise Him for the good in it! It's not bad. It's just different!!

(P.S. pool-rope-police ladies? I also drive my car with bare feet.) :)

4 comments:

Carol L said...

*GASP!* You must never, ever, ever drive with your bare feet! I don't know why...you just must not.

ROFL!!! Too much!

KISS wrote a song called Beth...

"Beth, I hear you calling
But I can't come home right now..."

I used to own the 45. I think it was my first 45 of a real song (as opposed to a kiddie song). I used to play that song over, and over, and over, and over...(prolly because it's the only pop record I owned at the time).

It will be quite a distance to visit you in prison for removing the pool rope, but I think I can manage it. I can even bring "real" coffee if you like! :D

Love ya,
Carol :)

Trinka said...

Hmmm ... having someone bring me coffee MIGHT almost make it worth it. :)

I forgot to add ... "Kregels used Christian bookstore should NOT close" They're a Christian used book stores, and people come to Grand Rapids from all over the world to go there ... they're closing in October. This is NOT a good change!

Carol L said...

Ow. That's the kind of mom and pop business you definitely mourn the loss of for years. I so feel you on that one...I have a few of those myself - some go almost as far as 20 years back. Don't Eeeeven get me started on the close of the Station restaurant! And I don't even live in that town anymore! Still, it should be there for when I go back and visit.

Anonymous said...

I drive in bare feet, and sleep in my clothes, and eat from the box sometimes. I am the new president of my condo association and our insurance company is suddenly making us put up a pool rope, forever turning lap swimmers into shadowy criminals. But I am busy devising a sign that will simultaneously satisfy my lawyers and those pain in the association spinsters. Current iteration: "Be certain rope is reattached when adult lap swim hours are complete."