Wednesday, June 08, 2005

a cup of cool water

While I was visiting D. this past weekend, we stopped by a gym where she was considering a membership.

In trying to decide what she wanted to do, she asked about getting some kind of trial membership, so if it didn't work out time-wise, she wouldn't lose the membership fee.

The salesman responded that she was thinking about it wrong ... that she should just plan to stop in every day -- if nothing else, just for a drink of water. It would build the habit that would get her in there.

Later in the weekend, she used it as an illustration of our times in the Scriptures. Even if I can't spend an hour studying. Even if I'm tired, and don't think I'll grasp much. Even if I'm in the pits, and just don't feel like concentrating, I can just open the book and grab a sip of cool water. And who knows, maybe once I'm there, I'll decide to tackle something a bit more meaty. :)

Got myself to the gym last night, and it actually felt kinda good. I think it had been a week (with trying to get ready to go away last weekend, life was a bit hectic.) I was almost looking forward to it yesterday. I like it there in the summer -- most of the college students are away, and it's not very busy. After a day at work, having a quiet, non-social spot to work out is a nice stress reliever!

As far as the "water" I was sipping on last night and this morning ...

I was reading in Genesis 30 -- There are some interesting parallels between Rachel's responses to things here, and her husband Jacob's responses to situations later on:
  • v. 2- Rachel says almost the same thing that Jacob will say later (in Gen. 42:36-38). "Everything is against me ... without children, I will die!"

And they both put the blame with the wrong person for the situation.
  • Rachel appears to blame Jacob that she didn't have children. (Gen. 30:1)
  • Jacob blames his boys for telling Joseph that they had another brother (Gen. 43:6).
Things do tend to get confusing in our minds, when we invest too much of our hopes and dreams in another person!

  • In Gen. 30:8, when Rachel's servent had a child that would belong to her, she says that she "wrestled" with her sister Leah, and "prevailed."
  • In Gen. 32:24 -- Jacob "wrestled' with an angel, and did NOT "prevail".

It's a tendency to want to make other people the issue because (even if only in my own thinking), I can "prevail" ... I can make them out to be the cause of "injustices" against me.

BUT when I wrestle with GOD, the one Who, in His providence (see yesterday's thoughts!) allows these "injustices" into my life, I can't prevail. I can wrestle as long as I like, but in the end, I'm left with - "He is good. He loves me. He allowed this for a reason."

Trinka

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Adam's response to God was especially classic and applicable to the way we can point the finger at someone else and ignore the 3 fingers pointing right back at ourselves. He said, "God, the woman that Yoooou...gave me..." Yeah, right. She twisted your arm to eat that fruit, Jack...Uhkay, rock on!

Sometimes God doesn't have anything to do with the holes we find ourselves in. Sometimes we dug ourselves into it.

But He's even good, and He even loves us so much in those situations that He'll dig us out of whatever hole we've dug ourselves in - every time!

And, yes, He is a good God. A very good God indeed. And I'd be stupid not to love Him back because He is so loving and so good.

Love ya,
Carol :)