Monday, June 20, 2005

camping in Egypt

Well ... back from the weekend, and couldn't have gotten any LESS accomplished if I'd planned that way! :) Other than vacuuming, and doing laundry, I didn't get anything productive done. But I'm feeling quite well-rested!

I was reading in Gen. 46 this morning - where Jacob and his family are moving into Egypt to live with Joseph to escape the famine. Egypt is a picture of the world, and the Lord often tells people NOT to move there, not to envy their stuff, etc. Yet here, he sends Jacob there to live. But He does it with a promise that He'll bring them back out again. (46:4)

He calls US to live here, in the midst of the world, and its lures. Yet He will call us to Himself, and out of it one day. The Egyptians weren't going to be fond of the Israelites (46:34). Christians aren't thought too highly of here! (intolerant, don't you know). Yet, they were blessed with the loan of some of Egypt's best land. They didn't own it, but they sure enjoyed the use of it! (47:6).

God blesses me like that sometimes too. How often in my life I've been blessed with seasons of respite in houses, cottages, etc. that I didn't own. He spoils me so often! :)

Got some long walks in Friday & Saturday. Loafed yesterday, and did nothing even remotely resembling exercise.

Trinka

3 comments:

Carol L said...

Hey, at least they're not burning us at the stake - at least not yet. :D

We have it pretty mild compared to many Christians in other countries. Ever read Voice of the Martyr magazine or visit the web site?

Trinka said...

I sure have. We're definately blessed.

I was thinking more along the lines of just not REALLY belonging here ... being a "bad fit" ...

Trinka

Carol L said...

Yeah...s'a good thing Jesus made it very clear that we're not supposed to fit in with the world - at all! Otherwise, we'd have to go through this life wondering, "What is this? It says right here on the bottle that this deodorant is supposed to work for a full 24 hrs...hmm..."