Tuesday, June 07, 2005

plane-related providence

Ahhhh ... nothing like coming back from a relaxing long-weekend away. :)

Let's see ... what am I writing about here?

Oh yes, exercise ...

Got very little. Texas in June feels like Michigan in August. If you're gonna walk, I guess you've got to do it early in the morning ... but there was always the lure of early-morning over-coffee conversation with different ladies at the retreat. And I chose company over calorie-burning. I did get in one nice walk with the retreat center's resident dogs (a couple of sweet basset hounds and a lab). They were also excellent company.

My friend who was speaking did a great job. I do believe she's one of my most favorite preachers. :)

Now ... about the airplane situation.

I've flown a lot. It's always gone smoothly ... any problems were minor and easily managed with a good dose of patience and flexibility.

But this time, for some oddball reason, I was uncommonly anxious about schedules, etc. There was talk early last week about United going on strike, and my layovers were uncomfortably short.

So, I busied myself doing all I could to smooth things out, and circumvent problems. I picked my seats at the far front of the plane, so I could run for my connection. I printed off airport maps, so I could get an idea of which WAY to run before I left the plane. I schemed and planned ...

And then I sat down to worry, with the book I'd brought along.

The book happened to be about the providence of God. The section I was reading was about how God's providence involves His knowing ahead of time what is needed, and orchestrating events in the way that will best suit His purposes in our lives. It talked about His goodness, and His love for His people.

Then it talked about how we so often trust in our OWN providence, rather than God's.

And as the day progressed, all my preparations gradually got reversed. They changed the seat I'd so carefully chosen, and stuck me waaaaaayyy back in the plane. We came into O'Hare at a gate that required a (very leisurely) bus ride to get to the connection. and on and on it went.

But God still blessed. I got there with absolutely no problems, and with an excellent lesson on Who's really in charge. (and if I had NOT gotten there, the same lesson applies -- He knows what's in my best interst, and if it's a weekend in Chicago, then I can trust Him there also.)

Tomorrow, I'll tell you about the "sip of cool water". I've gotta get some bills paid here!
Trinka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought about having my own providence and having it clash with God's.
It kind of leads into that circular thinking -- my decision to mow the lawn or clean the bathroom would interfere with God's plan. I best sit back on the couch and eat a nutty bar.

Trinka said...

Hmmm ... I think maybe the converse would be better.

"I'll do what seems responsible and wise, and trust God to direct it to what's best."

But ... maybe you NEED the couch & nutty bar more than the lawn or bathroom needs attention. :)

How's that exercising coming for you?

Trinka