Saturday, November 03, 2007

stalked by multiple lawyers

My sister-in-law mentioned this might make for an interesting blog entry.

Remember the subpoena I mentioned a few days ago? It was issued by a law firm nearby.

Then, Friday morning, when I got to work, I had a voice mail from yet another attorney, from a different law firm, asking if I could call him and answer some questions about the same accident.

I asked a lawyer-friend what was up, and he said that lawyer #2 was probably wanting to hear my story twice, so he could make me look silly when I tell it Friday.

Since I already KNOW I'm going to look silly, trying to remember something from two years ago, I was not at all looking forward to this possibility. And my friend reassured me that I don't have to talk with lawyer #2, if I don't want to.

So when I called lawyer #2 back, I left a message, asking if we could communicate via email, instead of phone. He sent me an email, saying he didn't like to type, and he wanted to talk on the phone. So I replied back with this:

I think if phone is our only option, then I'd prefer to pass. While you're not comfortable with typing, I'm not comfortable with the telephone ... so it seems that meeting in person will have to do for us both. I'm assuming you'll be there Friday, or someone from your firm.

Actually, the more I thought about it, the more it doesn't seem fair to talk ahead of time to the lawyer from one side and not to the lawyer from the other side.

I know ... that's probably naive ... but I didn't pay to go to law school for all those years, so I'm allowed to be naive when it comes to legal matters. :)


So ... at least I'm off the hook on talking to lawyer #2. I'm thankful that none of the lawyers seem to have my cell number or home address. I plan to maintain this happy situation if at all possible!

Hoping to get through Friday, tell lawyers #1 and #2 what I remember as best I can ... and then never talk to an attorney again! (at least not in a professional situation)

1 comment:

Clifford Jeffery said...

I love it!!! You really make it sound mundane that lawyers are stalking your every move!! Amazing! I would be FREAKING out and checking my phones for taps etc.. You are very brave!