Friday, November 02, 2007

It is "really" a problem

I once had a boss who was quite found of encircling any word he wished to emphasize with quotation marks.

Which, usually, made it look as if he meant the opposite of what he was trying so desperately to communicate.

The reports are due "tomorrow."

He thinks he's emphasizing a firm due date.

The average reader thinks he's winking and saying, "Sure ... have it here tomorrow ... or next year ... whatever."

He would also choose to quote the occasional "noun," for no identifiable reason.

I have long been a lover of the Grammar Vandal's blog (she fixes incorrect signs with a Sharpie. I wish I had the guts!).

I recently discovered the Blog of Unnecessary Quotation Marks. This one also makes me laugh. I wish I could somehow send it to my previous boss, without actually having to communicate with him to do so. :)

No comments: