Monday, November 19, 2007

ahhhh ... vacation

Now, if I could only persuade my body not to wake up at 5:00 a.m., THAT would be a thing!

While I've traveled a good deal, I've always flown if I was going alone. It was usually cheaper to fly than to drive, with one person. But this time I had several stops I wanted to make, and needed to have my car.

Hence the reason I find myself in Akron. I was thinking last night how strange it is to find myself in a city where I don't know anyone. I walked to a restaurant last night from the hotel, and it seemed odd that there wouldn't be any cars passing, or families at the restaurant, who would know me.

While I'm a fairly solitary person, I see how I really do have quite a community around me of extended connections. It's actually quite ideal. God has blessed me in a way I hadn't realized.

After a day at work, I LOVE being able to go home, close the door, and be alone and quiet. But I also enjoy bumping into familiar faces at the grocery store, or seeing cars of those I know when I'm out walking.

So, in this season of Thanksgiving - I am Thankful for His blessing to me in that area.

I'm going to Roanoke today to meet a friend from the MeetChristians site. (added for my worrying mother's sake - a female friend). Then I'll be going to my brother & sister-in-law's to spend Thanksgiving with them and the adorable nieces.

On the way back home, I'm looking forward to visiting Answers in Genesis. They have a new museum on creationism, which I've been wanting to see. I had forgotten where it was located, and when reminded, looked up the location of the hotel room I had already booked, and discovered it was only 5 miles away. Well ... that aspect of the planning was easy!

Well, I suppose rush hour is probably almost over, and I should start thinking about getting on the road.

Remember this week, it's impossible to be truly thankful, unless you're thankful TO someone. God has blessed us greatly.

No comments: