Tuesday, December 05, 2006

like a turtle on its back ...

was my dear little Saturn Ion last night.

Ever since I got my first front-wheel drive car, 17 years ago, I've felt fairly confident driving on bad roads, provided I could go slow enough, and take my time.

However, last night I discovered that my cute little Saturn's light weight makes for absolutely NO momentum to rock free when stuck. None at all. THIS is an important consideration!

A retired couple from church has the staff over for a Christmas party every year. It is SUCH a nice evening, and last night was this year's gathering.

This couple has a lovely home about a half-mile back from the road.

At the end of the evening, I snuck out a little before the others, since I get up early for work.

Their driveway ends in a steep uphill grade onto the road.

As I gunned the car to make it up the grade on the ice ... I saw headlights coming down the road.

BOTHER!

So, I slow down, feeling the wheels starting to slip backwards ... and sideways ... and then ... stop.

It wasn't stuck that badly. But it also would NOT rock free, no matter what I did. I'm guessing this is due to the lighter weight. I'd been noticing it seems to slide around more than my previous cars.

The men came out and pushed me out, for which I was very thankful. But I'm going to have to exercise a bit more caution from now on. I've always been able to free myself before, but it seems that won't be happening with this car!

Trinka ... who really DOES not like winter driving

No comments: