Sunday, March 12, 2006

importing horses from Egypt

I was reading last night in Deuteronomy 17 and v. 16 stood out to me. God is telling Israel what their king ought to be like, and He tells them that this man (and Israel as a whole) shouldn't be collecting horses, and particularly shouldn't be getting them from Egypt.

Kind of obscure?

Not really! When those kinds collected horses, they were doing it because horses were the "tanks" of that era. They were doing it for protection and power. God wanted to be their protector. He wanted them to trust Him.

Why the specific warning about Egypt?

It was the epitome of "the world" then. It's a picture to us now of our former life, of all that we run to for comfort other than God.

He wants us to trust Him fully, and He wants us (me!) to run to Him when circumstances seem threatening.

It made me think about those silly contests on the back of product labels. I almost always enter them, and spend a few minutes daydreaming about winning ... pay off my car, put in some pretty laminate flooring, etc. (though I must say ... for 30-year-old carpet, this stuff is NOT bad ...a carpet shampooer with ammonia instead of soap is definately the way to go!)

And while that daydreaming may be fun (and winning would be MORE fun). I know "where my help comes from. It comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." And He's not limited in the way He provides!

I'm so spoiled by Him (and by His people) in so many ways. It's good to take time to be thankful for that!

Yesterday I spent the day with the windows open, letting the spring sunshine freshen the condo. It was in the 60's here, and sunny. I had my food dehydrator drying apples. It was just a beautiful, productive, restful day. Had several visits with a good friend, with whom I hope to do some traveling this year. I also got to the gym, and out for several walks. It's hard to stay inside when the sun is shining. :)

I've also been doing some thinking about ways to combat bitterness. I posted on the MeetChristians site, and people have had some wonderful suggestions. I thought I'd throw the idea up here also. A sister confided in me Thursday that she's struggling with this issue, and I wanted to send her some ideas for help. Thoughts would be welcome!

Well, this post has been a bit of a mish-mash, hasn't it? Maybe do better next time!

Trinka

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are we supposed to sign in to be counted?

Carol L said...

It's good when one gains experience in learning just how trustworthy the Lord is and how capable He is of taking care of His own.

Just so you have the info: laminate flooring may actually not last as long as your carpeting has. I've seen it tear up pretty quickly in quite a few cases (less than 5 years). I've seen more than a couple of cases where the edges haved curled up and where pieces get chipped out on more than one floor. And a friend of mine who recently bought a place with laminate flooring already installed said it's very hard to keep clean and that it scratches very easily. She liked it when they were buying the place, but it has turned out to be a huge pain.

Btw, for a random question here, what ratio of ammonia to water to you use in your shampooer for your carpeting?

Bitterness...the only cure I've found for it is in humbling myself and remembering what all I've been forgiven of. We think we may not have had much of a past to be forgiven and that what someone else has done is worse, but that person who did that bad thing has to stand alone just as I do. If we'll let Him, He'll show us just how exceedinly sinful and bloody our own sins were - then from then on it serves as an excellent reference point for extending mercy and grace for the sins of others.

Of course, I didn't learn this in a day. I'm sad to say I've held onto bitterness for periods longer than a year since I was saved. It wasn't until God brought me back to the cross where I saw what my sins did to my precious Jesus that I got the perspective I needed to let it go.