Wednesday, September 21, 2005

well that's done


Ordered the car yesterday, and it may be here by this weekend. Yikes!

The p.m., pessimistic Trinka was in a bit of a flurry last night. But really ... so much of the p.m. Trinka's thinking is motivated by fear (as opposed to prudence). I told her she gets to clamp down as tight as she wants on the budget for the next few years, and she felt LOTS better. :)

Got to the gym last night, and (though I'm hesitant to say it too loudly) it appears that I've reversed the gaining-weight trend. The last 3 days or so, the numbers have turned the other direction. Whew! I was starting to get concerned. Just gotta keep a closer watch on those calories.

My siser-in-law has been running - I'm so proud of her! I've done little bits here & there to give some variety to my walks, but I think she's inspiring me (especially now that the weather's turning cooler). They're taking my little niece also, and at 2, she's learning to love exercise. What a wonderful way to start out in life. I devloped an early passion for books that I wouldn't trade for anything ... but I do wish it was matched by a passion for physical activity.

I've been reading in 1 Peter as I prepare for the ladies' Bible study, and 1:13 has been on my mind. It talks about girding your mind ... grabbing hold of your thoughts, and putting them where they ought to be. It's such a good reminder. When we control our thinking, our actions, feelings, attitudes and reactions all follow along behind.

Along the same idea, 2 Corinthians 10:5:
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Read this today (my apologies for the weird line breaks ... don't know how to fix it!) :

You've got to admit, some of our hearts are trashed out. Let any riffraff
knock on the door, and we throw it open. Anger shows up, and we let him in.
Revenge needs a place to stay, so we have him pull up a chair. Pity wants to
have a party, so we show him the kitchen. Lust rings the bell, and we change
the sheets on the bed. Don't we know how to say no?

Many don't. For most of us, thought management is, well, unthought of.
We think much about time management, weight management, personnnel management, even scalp management. But what about thougth maangement? Shouldn't we be as concerned about managing our thoughts as we are managing anything else?


Jesus was. Like a trained soldier at the gate of a city, he stood watch over his mind. He stubbornly guarded the gateway of his heart ...

If He did, shouldn't we ...?


Grace for the Moment, pg. 290, Max Lucado
Well, vacation starts tomorrow. I may still post occasionally - McDonalds, across the street from my place, has wireless now. :)

Trinka

No comments: