Wednesday, September 14, 2005

leprousy

Lately, I've been reading in the sections of the Old Testament where it dealt with all the rules and restrictinos that they had to impose on people with leaprosy.

From a practical, protect-everyone-from-germs standpoint, I know these rules had a purpose. But it's also a picture of sin ... and the grievous implications of even a small transgression! Even the tiniest spot of leaprosy required drastic action. Yet, when it completely covered the person's body, they could be considered clean! Sin is such a serious business that even a tiny bit condemns us ... yet it's when we realize that we're altogether sinful that we find hope for healing ... by trusting in Christ's deliverance instead of our own.

From John Newton's Olney Hymnal:


Oft as the leper's case I read,
My own described I feel;
Sin is a leprosy indeed,
Which none but Christ can heal.

2. Awhile I would have passed for well,
And strove my spots to hide;
Till it broke out incurable,
Too plain to be denied.

3. Then from the saints I sought to flee,
And dreaded to be seen;
I thought they all would point at me,
And cry, Unclean, unclean!

4. What anguish did my soul endure,
Till hope and patience ceased?
The more I strove myself to cure,
The more the plague increased.

5. While thus I lay distressed, I saw
The Savior passing by;
To him, though filled with shame and awe,
I raised my mournful cry.

6. Lord, thou canst heal me if thou wilt,
For thou canst all things do;
O cleanse my leprous soul from guilt,
My filthy heart renew!

7. He heard, and with a gracious look,
Pronounced the healing word;
I will, be clean - and while he spoke
I felt my health restored.

8. Come lepers, seize the present hour,
The Saviour's grace to prove;
He can relieve, for he is pow'r,
He will, for he is love.

Exercise-wise ... I got to the gym last night and lifted weights, and am REALLY feeling the results today. I'm feeling a bit let down at how much work I'm putting into this whole enterprise, and how little results I'm seeing.

However, I did notice last night that the pretty, skinny girls are almost universally lifting 2 to 3x LESS weight than I am.

Wow.

I'm quite shocked, actually.

I might never be tiny ... but at least I'll be able to open my own peanut-butter jars. :)

Trinka

2 comments:

Carol L said...

Lol! Yeah, hand that jar to one of the wisps of air posing as girls and let's just see what happens. Take that!!!

Honestly, who decided that the skinny girls would model all the latest fashions anyway? Whoever they are, just because they say these girls look better in the clothes doesn't make it so. They've sold us a bill of goods. Just take that bill back for a full refund!

Being paper thin isn't all it's cracked up to be - and I ought'ta know! And, besides, not every girl is designed to be wafer thin. Some are designed with some natural bulk, and that's okay. When I was growing up, I always liked the way the naturally more beefy girls looked in their jeans. My jeans always looked like they'd fall off of me any minute. That's attractive! NOT!

And you know? Regarding your progress...how long did it take you to get where you were when you started all this? And don't companies make a fortune on those who wake up one day, look in the mirror, and want it to vanish in a week? And how miserable is the yo-yo of starvation only to put on the pounds - with interest - once you realize you can't live the rest of your life starving?

Believe me, even though you can't snap your fingers and make all the stuff you don't want come off in a day, once you get it off, you'll know how to keep it off, and it will not be a problem to maintain that lifestyle.

I can't even tell you how many people I've tried to help "see the light" on getting off the maniacal dieting yo-yo and just make some simple adjustments. Some may need to stay off of wheat as they might have an undetected allergy. Definitely all can benefit from doing away with refined sugars and white flour and replacing these things with fruits, whole grains, and natural, God-made foods high in fiber. I've told some that even just eliminating one thing from their daily intake - soda pop - will bring a drastic improvement to the program.

And here you are, by the grace of God, having chosen the road less travelled. And so there is no instant gratification on this road. Yet - as you've discovered with being able to open your own peanut butter jars - there are definite and lasting rewards that show up along the way.

In the long run, which is better? Instant gratification that goes *poof* with the first gust of wind or the motherload?

And who's to say that just because you can't see the results you're looking for, results aren't happening? If you could see underneath your skin, I guarantee you'd see tremendous transformation from when you first started.

And isn't that how transformation of the God kind works? One may not be able to see it on the surface, but it doesn't mean that huge things aren't taking place where only He can see...

Just a few things to think about.

Be encouraged my dear friend!

Love ya,
Carol :)

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged..... there is a cure for leprosy today!

iabide@mindsay.com
mindsay.com