Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

Today is the day when the differences between introverts and extroverts are most prominent.

Grand Rapids is having a big party downtown, with a ball dropping, live music, etc. The news is making a big fuss over it ... "yeah! free party! woo hoo!"

I can put myself in the shoes of someone who's extroverted and vivacious ... my step-brothers and their wives, several of my friends, my sister-in-law and one (or maybe both) of my nieces ... they would hear this and think, "wow! fun!".

Me? I would pay NOT to go! My favorite New Year's Eve memories involve small get-togethers to play games and visit. There was a group of us who met in college who gathered every New Year's for a few years after graduation, and it was always one of the highlights of the holidays.

But when I hear "FREE PARTY DOWNTOWN" ... all I can think of is looking for a parking place in the cold and dark ... fighting crowds ... noise ... freezing ... more noise ... then a long, cold walk back to my car in the dark, and a longer, colder drive home.

Think I'll just enjoy making jewelry tonight, and declare "midnight" some time around 10:30.

The extroverts reading this are thinking "pathetic" and the introverts are thinking, "perfect"!

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

I may be extroverted, but the idea of a New Year's Party scares me too. I am too scared of the people who drink and then drive. I refuse to risk it. I usually won't leave the house after about 5 p.m. today.

Trinka said...

Ah - I hadn't thought about the safety aspect of things. I could see why a cozy night at home would appeal to you for that reason!