Friday, December 05, 2008

the work Christmas party by which all other work Christmas parties will be judged

The funeral home for which I work part time had their Christmas party last night.

I have not found company Christmas parties particularly enjoyable in the past, but I decided to go ... though I went alone so as not to subject anyone else in case it was awful.

But it was SO not awful!

Positive #1 -
No alcohol. I have no objection to moderate drinking, but as a non-drinker myself, I feel uncomfortable when people have drunk enough to be "not themselves". Company Christmas parties seem to be prime situations for this. Then I have to try and forget what I saw when I run into them at work later.

Positive #2 -
It was done open-house style ... you came when you wanted to, left when you wanted to, and felt no time-pressure.

Positive #3 -
It started at 5:00! woo hoo! It happened during the time of day when I was still AWAKE! :) Whenever something starts at 7:00 ... I'm already ready to be curled up at home with a good book when I first get there!

Positive #4 -
Delicious meal, nice gift-cards handed out as I walked in ...

Positive #5 -
The buffet was there by the door, and you went straight in, got a name tag, and sat down with your dinner ... no trying to look comfortable and "at home" during the awkward "punchbowl" time.

The perfect party for the solitary, conservative and socially awkward! Loved it!! :) If I ever get married, I've just seen how my reception will be handled. :)

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Sounds like a rockin' time. I hope our Thanksgiving did not pale in comparison. =)

Trinka said...

Your Thanksgiving was ideal. :) No drunks their either! Plus, there were these two amazing little girls .... :) :)