Wednesday, January 31, 2007

cell phone etiquette

Let me preface this post by saying, I am NOT an anti-cell phone crusader. I have one. In fact, it's the only phone I DO have. I do use it when I'm driving, as long as I'm not merging onto or off of a busy section of highway, or traveling on a busy street.

It's quite possible to use the things without creating a hazard or being rude to the world.

But this morning, I had one of those experiences that reminds me why some people ARE anti-cell phone crusaders. On the freecycle mailing list, a lady had mentioned needing moving boxes. I had a bunch of copy-paper boxes so I offered them to her. She just left picked them up.

It was quite odd ... her phone chirped just as she walked in, and she said, "oh that's my brother." She then proceeded to carry on a conversation with him, and with me, at the same time. Odd. Really odd.

Now I have a friend who ALWAYS calls mine just as I'm needing to talk with someone - it's some kind of a telepathic gift. :) But it's astonishingly easy to just hit the button on the side of the phone and turn the ringer off. One doesn't HAVE to answer it. And, if you call the person back in a few minutes, the delay doesn't do any visible damage to the conversation.

The funny thing was she seemed like an otherwise-socially-adept lady. She was pleasant, she had a helpful little girl who picked up a stack of the boxes without being asked. It was very strange.

No comments: