Monday, January 29, 2007

everyday miracles

On the MeetChristians forums, one lady posted about getting her first pair of glasses.

It brought back a neat memory of getting my first pair. It was in the fall just before the 4th grade, and my family were looking at a deer out in the field, and I said, "what deer?"

Not too long after that I met my first eye doctor, and got glasses. I remember just wandering around looking at things, because it was all so CRISP! I can still picture the tomato plants out behind the shed ... I just stared at the detail of their leaves against the red tomatoes.

Really - If I didn't have vision correction, my eyesight wouldn't be functional at all. I certainly can't read or recognize faces without glasses or contacts. Without my eyes, I have no marketable job skills. I suppose I'd be living in my mother's basement, and spending my days eating chocolates and watching soap operas!

It is one of those every-day wonders ... that those of us with bad eyes can just go trippingly through life with very little inconvenience, let alone handicap!

A good friend is going for lasik surgery on Friday. This is one of those things I've pondered occasionally. It would be so wonderful to wake up and be able to see ... to not have to carry spare glasses in the car, lest I lose a contact and get stranded somewhere. Pondering ...

Trinka

1 comment:

Clifford Jeffery said...

This topic came up at a bible study last week. Eight of us were sitting there. None wearing glasses. And we started talking about our prescriptions. I thought I was almost blind with a -3.75, then a guy says his is 6. They don't even bother making quarter differences at that point. Then another woman says her prescription is a 9. If she had to wear glasses, they'd be as thick as dinner plates. Just imagine if we all lost our contacts on the same day and had to drive around wearing 10-year-old glasses that do not work well enough.