Thursday, April 27, 2006

the weak ones among us

I was reading in 1 Cor. 12 last night, and v. 22 stood out to me

On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary;


For some reason, I’d always read this, thinking about the physical body side of the picture, and not the spiritual … but last night, the spiritual stood out …


Those who are bound by depression, and it’s all they can do to get themselves out the door on Sunday morning before retreating to their bedroom … they are necessary.


Those who are easily offended, and have to be handled with kid gloves … necessary.


Those who struggle with the same issue over and over and over … necessary.


Sick, aged, distracted, simple … all necessary.


And what a blessing to be able to be a comfort to these “necessary” ones …

I was glad for the reminder.


Had a nice walk last night before prayer meeting, and hope to get to the gym tonight on the way home from Bible study in Zeeland. However, it will be late-afternoon, when motivation starts to slip ... so it might or might not actually happen. :)

Trinka

2 comments:

Carol L said...

I've sensed that verse means a little more than all that, but I believe it includes that too. God certainly isn't casting anyone out or turning away from becoming part of His family, and last time I checked He never regened on His call to "whosoever will" either!

Love ya,
Carol :)

Trinka said...

Oh, it definately does ... I know the primary meaning is concerning the gifts, and the need to value them equally (though desiring the "greater gift" at the end ... I haven't figured out how that all fits together yet!)

But all the gifts passages seemed to contain a challenge to unity, while celebrating our differences, and so when I ran across the word "necessary", it struck me how important each member of the body is.

I'm enjoying the pondering. :)