Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I remember when life was always like this ...

The church's internet is with SBC ...

It appears that their service is down for an enormous area right now.

Every time I call, the "hope to be repaired by" time gets farther away.

It's AMAZING how much of my job has moved online ... and how hard it is to do it disconnected!

Got to the gym last night for the first time in ages - and can really feel it. I've been walking and working out in other ways, but those muscles weren't getting stretched! Got a "racquetball for beginners" lesson this past weekend. I think I could really like that. D. and her sister-in-law were teaching at a ladies' retreat, and it was such a blessing to be able to go to Texas and be there for it. The retreat was at a lovely lake-side site, and there was a chance to go kyacking one morning to watch the sun come up - it was just beautiful.

The subject of the retreat was spiritual gifts, and it got me thinking about the subject. It's such a blessing to have my job tie in with the gifts God's given me (administration, encouragement and mercy) - I think that's part of what makes it such a joy. I was reading this morning in Romans 1:11-12, and noticed that Paul wanted to go to Rome to "impart unto them some spiritual gift to the end they be established" (probably paraphrased.)

I'm wondering if that mention of spiritual gift is supposed to tie in with the ones in Romans 12. It doesn't quite seem like it, but I'm not sure. I do find it interesting that it ties in with establishment/stability. Still pondering this one.

Trinka ... at home on her lunch, checking the e-mail

2 comments:

Carol L said...

I've never been sure that it does either. I'm pretty sure gifts of the Spirit refers to the things the Holy Spirit did through Jesus when He walked the earth then through the early church and what I'm certain He would like to do through us today. Paul said it was the same Spirit doing all the works (1 Corinthians 12-something...somewhere in the first few verses)and asked, "He who works miracles by the Spirit how does he do it? By the hearing of faith. (I'll have to look up the addess to that verse...unless, of course, you beat me to it :D )

Trinka said...

Is one of these the one you mean?

9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit,

11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

Neither sounds quite close enough. Or maybe yours is in one of the other two gifts passages (Rom. 12 or Eph. 4)? Or maybe you're using a version just different enough from mine that it's making it hard to pick out!

TJ