Saturday, April 08, 2006

a little internet cafe

just presented itself. Please be so kind as to ignore punctuation!

I got WAY lost yesterday. It was fun ... no one was waiting for me, and I had a great time with a lady who spoke no English ... she pretty much told me Iàd walked so far that I wasnàt even ON my map anymore.

The hotel is near a big metro station, so I knew no matter where I ended up, I could find a metro stop and get home again, which was very liberating!

Iàve just been to the cathedral, and it was so beautiful. There was a walkway on the roof, going up several levels, so you could see the intricacy of how it was made ... there were even carvings hidden behind other carvings, underneath overhangs, etc. ... all up so high that they never would have thought anyone would see it.

I also stopped at a sidewalk cafe and ordered hot chocolate ...it was amazing stuff ... like warm chocolate pudding, or some-such. I could become a fan.

The traffic is interesting to me ... People seem to cross right in front of cars all the time, and the cars just swerve around them. But itàs not an angry, everyone-get-out-of-my-way attitude like in Detroit. Here it just seems to be expected, and everyone is pretty mellow about it. No yelling, waving fingers, etc. I was riding with an Italian lady yesterday, and she was driving on the wrong side of a double yellow line ... oncoming traffic tooted a horn at her, and she just pleasantly said, "yes, yes, of course you are right" and eventually swerved back. :)

pictures will be coming when I get home!

Iàm off to find an interesting cemetery I read about in a guidebok.

Trinka

1 comment:

Carol L said...

Italy HAS to be the perfect place to be lost! What city are you in?

Awesome stuff!

Thanks for sharing!