Tuesday, December 06, 2005

the little mysteries of life

Yesterday I received a hand-addressed envelope with the "information you requested about our museum."

That would be an antique aircraft museum, in Georgia.

It's been 10 years, and 3 address changes since I last drove through Georgia. I don't know anyone in Georgia. I haven't visited any antique aircraft-related web sites.

So, my curiosity is quite active, wondering, "how did I request this information?" :)

If it had been a data-base printed mass-mailing label, I'd assume my name was on a history-lovers list. But the hand-written envelope creates the puzzle. (Though Georgia sounds VERY nice right now!)

One responsibility ended last night. (Though I was told yesterday that I'll be on the condo board whether I'm elected or not, as someone plans to resign at the end of January, and whoever doesn't get elected will be appointed to replace her.

Had a delightful day off yesterday. I had saved some vacation time for a proposed trip to China that didn't happen, and they asked me to use some of it up, rather than carry it all into 2006. I got to the gym early in the morning when it wasn't busy (love that!), got a few things done around the house, and made an African groundnut (peanut) stew ... which I didn't try yet, but is waiting to be heated up for my lunch today.

A good friend suggested the idea of reading through the Psalms & New Testament with a hurting friend in mind, and praying for them when various verses brought them to mind, highlighting the verses, and then giving them the Bible when you're finished. I've been doing this for the friends who lost their daughter in a car accident a couple months back, and it's been such a blessing. I'm near the end of Psalms and ready to start on the New Testament. It's been especially interesting to notice how often the sea is mentioned in Psalms. The sea can be seen sometimes as a metaphor for the idea of separation ... which for somone who has lost a family member, is definately relevant.

Here's just a little sample:

Ps 72:8 He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth.

Ps 77:19 Thy way is in the sea, and thy path in the great waters, and thy footsteps are not known.

God rules even in this situation! While death was not in His original plan for this earth, He isn't defeated by it.

Ps 78:13 He divided the sea, and caused them to pass through; and he made the waters to stand as an heap.

Ps 78:53 And he led them on safely, so that they feared not: but the sea overwhelmed their enemies.

The Lord will bring His people through this ... sometimes in ways that will be totally baffling to a watching world! Without Him, the separation can be totally overwhelming.

************

N. got so much done for me yesterday - it's just a delight to come to work when she's been here. However, she told me that she's taken a part-time job, so won't be available as much from now on. While I'm happy for her, I'm selfishly feeling a bit sorry for myself!

Better get some things done around here myself! :)

Trinka

1 comment:

Carol L said...

Welcome back to Blogger's World! Good to see you back!

The Bible is an awesome gesture! What a blessing that's going to be to receive that!

Love you,
Carol :)