Monday, May 23, 2005

OK ... but was it REALLY ice cream?

Went to the condo meeting Saturday, and dutifully turned down the ice cream. But then, she said, "well, this is sugar free." OK. OK. If I MUST.

Note to self ... while Splenda does NOT make me fat, it DOES make me sick.
So quit trying to eat it.

Got to the gym on Friday & Sunday, and had a long walk Saturday, so at least the exercise thing is staying on track.

Went with T. to an offroad derby Saturday - about 80 old cars racing 5 at a time around a muddy oval track with hills. They crashed into each other, and slid around - very fun to watch.

There was a fellow selling rides on a mechanical bull, and I gave it a try. It was great fun. It was also another experience doing something vaguely athletic in public ... I'm hoping eventually it will feel natural. (if nothing else, it was a better use of $5 than buying fair food.)

I'm reading in Genesis 22, v. 2 God says "take your only son Isaac." That's interesting wording. Because there was another son - Ishmael. But in God's plan, there was just the one ... Isaac was the one God had a plan for.

I've been specifically looking at the parallels between Abraham & Isaac, and the Lord Jesus.

  • Abraham went "early the next morning" ... no matter how hard it was, he didn't put it off. Christ came "in the fulness of time" - at just the right moment
  • v. 2- it was to be a burnt offering / Christ consumed the fire of God's wrath on the cross
  • v. 3 - it was not done in secret, Abraham took two servants / the Lord was made a public spectacle
  • The location was most likely the same mountain - Mt. Moriah
  • v. 4 - It happened on the third day ... if you think that Isaac was "as good as dead" when the decision was made ... then maybe the fact that this happened on the third day would make his being spared by God's provision of a ram a picture of the resurrection (was THAT ever a convoluted sentance!)
  • v. 5 - this was "worship" / God was glorified by the Lord's sacrifice for sin, His justice was satisfied
  • v. 6 - Isaac carries the burnt-offering wood on his shoulders / the Lord Jesus carried His cross on his shoulders
  • v. 6 - Abraham and Isaac went on together / God and Christ were united in this
  • v. 9 - Isaac was bound / Christ was nailed to the cross
  • Both of them could have stopped it - Isaac was a young man in his prime, and his father was aged. Christ was obedient unto death, even death on a cross

More tomorrow on this, I think. I've just reached the spot where God provided the ram for the burnt offering to take Isaac's place. I'll be pondering that today & tonight.

A lady from church just called and asked if I would team teach a Sunday School session with her on "Marriage and Singleness". She's doing the marriage part (obviously).

I'm looking forward to it, though it is a little nervous-making. I love to write, but I find it harder to capture people's interest when speaking - I try to rush too much. At least I've got some time - it's not until July 24.

Trinka

No comments: