Saturday, November 08, 2008

thoughts on grocery store etiquette

I've once again been reminded why I avoid stores ... and particularly why I avoid stores on Saturdays.

Wouldn't it seem reasonable that, if a person wanted to chat with 5 or 6 friends, it would be pleasant to find a nice coffee shop somewhere? The appeal of gathering in a wagon-train-style circle, surrounded by grocery carts, blocking all traffic down supermarket aisles ... well ... it's one I just don't understand.

And I do hope that one day, I will have a life that is leisurely enough that I would be inclined to wander slowly through a store, casually looking over the merchandise in case something appeals to me. I can't fathom it ... but it sounds pleasant.

But if I do ... please let me remember to stay to one side or the other, so others who are trying to fit too much stuff in too small a time-frame have room to pass me, instead of clenching their jaw as they are forced into unwelcome-leisure as they dawdle behind me.

Anyhow ... yep ... I'm glad I can do most of my shopping online. :)

(and I'm sure anyone who would be stuck in the same environment with me is also very glad to NOT have me there!)

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Cliff knew exactly what you were going to say!! Very funny stuff!

Trinka said...

they truly were gathered in a circle, with carts ringed around them ... just like a wagon train. :) I wondered if they were going to pull out and caravan over to the pet department to pan for gold in the fish tanks. :)