Wednesday, November 12, 2008

good reminder this morning

I have a daily Bible reading sent to me from BibleGateway. (I find if I have a reminder sitting in my in-box, I remember to take a minute to read before I dive into my "to do" pile!

Todays's reading was 2 Timothy, chapter 2.

The first two verses caught my attention:

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,
for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.


Am I praying for those in authority? I need to be. And I think it's particularly important since the upcoming president is one I didn't vote for. It would be easy to focus on the negative, instead of praying for God to use him.

It was good to note how God wants us to pray for our leaders ... we aren't to pray for economic prosperity, or for decisions to be made that we agree with. (though I'm inclined to do that occasionally!)

Rather we're to pray that government will, essentially, allow us to go about our business, living for God, without interruption.

Realistically, at least for the forseeable future, even a liberal government is very likely to do that! We're quite blessed in that regard here in the States.

But I do need to remember to pray for Obama. He's going to have an overwhelming job dumped on him very soon.

I also want to remember to pray for President Bush. In my opinion, he's been most unfairly maligned by the press. He's done a tremendous job under extremely difficult circumstances, and I'm sure he's looking forward to returning to a quiet life in Crawford!

No comments: