Saturday, October 11, 2008

what was your first computer?

This past week, a friend started doing some shopping because the (25 gig) hard drive on her laptop had filled up.

I was thinking of how unimaginable this would have seemed to me when I bought my first computer in 1989. I'm not sure we even USED the term "gig". :) I had a 200 mg hard drive, and I can remember deleting documents when I needed to make room for new software.

My very first computer was a 286 with a pretty amber monitor (the ones at the college were green ... I thought the amber was SO much nicer.) I had considered the cheaper 80/86 (is that the right term? can't remember for sure ...), but I decided to spend extra on the bigger computer, so it would LAST me a while.

It came with a funny windows-ish thing called Geoworks, and a dot matrix printer - all for only $1,100! What a DEAL! If I remember correctly, I was still using it in 1993 when I signed up for my first Internet service - AOL at 10 hours/month, I think. I used Pro-Write and WordStar mainly ... with occasional forays into some kind of really basic desktop publishing program. That was IT, and I thought I was really techy!

What was your first computer?

P.S. ... out of curiosity, I just looked at my own hard drive. I have 80 gig, and 28.8 is full. YIkes! What IS all that stuff? :)

5 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

I don't think I understand what you mean. LOL! I am not sure. I had a little typewriter type of computer thingy and I don't think I had anything else till I married Cliff.
His first computer was an Atari. It had a 5 inch floppy disk drive.

Rachel L said...

I have a vague idea what you mean by computer

Trinka said...

Rachel- you're so funny!

Kristen - I remember that computer of his too! It hooked to an hold TV, and he typed 0s and 1s from a little book for hours and hours, and ... if every one was perfect, he would sometimes get it to play a little tune, or display a picture or something. I'd forgotten about that excellent machine. :)

Mine had 5 inch AND 3.5 inch floppy drives. I was stylin!

Brian Sayers said...

We actually had a Commodore64 growing up, where we loaded the programs and saved information on a cassette tape. 64 KB of RAM rocked. We ruled the world!

Trinka said...

Good night! That's like "War Games" kind of stuff. Were you playing chess with the doomsday computer? :)