Saturday, October 11, 2008

introvert vs. extrovert

This week, one of my co-workers and I were discussing the differences between introverts and extroverts.

I have always associated "introvert" with "shy", but he described introversion and extroversion as where a person finds their energy ... are they energized by being with people, or is it wearisome?

I found it quite an enlightening idea. Because, while I am not particularly shy, I find social occasions exhausting. While I enjoy them, I am always relieved to get into a room alone and close the door afterward!

It never occurred to me that extroverted people don't experience that same feeling ... that they might actually gain energy the longer they're at a gathering, while I gradually wind down and start taking long breaks in the ladies' room, longing for things to end for the evening. Interesting!

On a different note ... here's a new picture of the adorable nieces. I thought this was great!

4 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Love the photo!!! Very interesting thoughts. I am extroverted, and frequently DO feel energized after being around people. Just not all people.

Trinka said...

Yes ... well ... there are some people who suck the life out of PLANTS, let alone other people. :)

Rachel L said...

Adorable nieces - that picture makes me want to be there with them. Introvert and extrovert - yes, it varies. I have one relative who says she calls me for the purpose of talking so she can relax. It takes her an hour and a half to relax.

Trinka said...

oh my ... feel free NOT to EVER give her my phone number.

Talking on the phone relaxing? She's out of her MIND!