Sunday, February 03, 2008

thirsty?


Tonight, I showed up at church thirsty.

I'd like to say that by "thirsty" I mean I was longing to meet with God. But ... to be honest, by "thirsty," I mean that I was just wishing I'd had a glass of water before I left the house.

We had an excellent guest speaker today, and tonight he was talking about encouraging young people in your church who you see as gifted towards missions.

And while he was preaching, he had a glass of ice water available to him.

Right in my line of vision when I looked at him.

As I sat in the meeting, "a little thirsty" increased to "terribly thirsty," and the glass of ice water continued to sit there - not 15 feet away from me. The beads of condensation glistened on the side, and I could see the ice beginning to melt.

The speaker never took a sip.

I had a hard time tearing my eyes away from the glass, and he never touched it.

I was thinking tonight about the Lord Jesus' calling Himself the Living Water.

I WISH I had arrived at church with that kind of thirst for God, with a fixation on Him that nagged at my mind, no matter what else was happening.

But you know what, in Luke 9, the Lord says that we are to "ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened to you."

And, obviously, we're to ask for things that will be in line with His plan for us.

But I'm fairly sure that if I ask for spiritual thirst, that is in line with His plan for me! And more than that, not only is the thirst something He desires for me, He also desires to satisfy it. I don't have to look at the water from 15 feet away!

No comments: