Sunday, October 21, 2007

on how we discovered the current is stronger in the center of the river

After a delightful Fernando Ortega concert last night in Berrien Springs, I came home this morning, went to church, and headed out with my kayak looking for an inaugural voyage.

I was originally planning to go to a small lake near my house, but when I got there, the beach was closed due to e-coli warnings. This triggered my "ick" reflex, and I left in search of less disgusting water.

After some wandering, I ended up at a public boat launch on the Grand River. I didn't have any trouble setting up the kayak, or getting it in the water. I decided to paddle up-river, and float back, since I wasn't sure how easy the little Dragonfly would be to paddle or steer.

It's definitely not AS easy as a hard kayak, but I think the fact I can realistically carry it from place to place more than makes up for it.

I paddled like CRAZY upstream. I went out in the middle of the river, so I wouldn't have to dodge around fallen trees. After 15 minutes of furious paddling, I looked back, and realized ...

I'd gone about a quarter mile.

That's it. :)

I floated back, enjoying the view.

But despite the lack of long-distance progress, I had a great time, and my arms now have all the strength one would expect to find in cooked spaghetti noodles.

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Neat! we want to take you and the girls out when you are here!!

Trinka said...

I'll look forward to it!