Wednesday, October 17, 2007

a handy bit of information I just found out yesterday


Picture this ...

You're driving a rental car, or a friend's car, or even an "I just bought this car" car.

You pull into a gas station.

And then you realize you forgot to look and see which side the gas tank door is on.

At this point, I normally open the window, and crane my head outside, trying to see the door.

But ... did you know you can tell from looking at the gas gauge?

You did?

Well, I didn't!

See the arrow next to the picture of the pump? It's pointing at the side where the door is located. (Or sometimes, they just show the picture of the gas pump, and the hose is coming off the pump on the proper side.)

Amazing the little conveniences that surround us, and we don't even realize they're there!

5 comments:

Brian Sayers said...

I just bought a new car and had this very problem a couple of weeks ago. I took a guess as to which side the tank would be on and got lucky, so I didn't have to get in my car and turn around.

Then, while waiting for my first tank to reach empty on my new car, watching the moving gauge all week to relish the excellent mileage I was now getting, I noticed the curious little arrow. "How convenient," I thought. "They tell you which side of the gas gauge that little 'warning light' is going to be on when you get down to your last gallon." Lo and behold, when the 'warning light' came on, it wasn't anywhere near the little arrow.

"Stupid little arrow," I thought. "It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever."

I have just been provided with "a little accountability" for speaking so negatively about little lights.

Brian

Clifford Jeffery said...

That's too funny!!! Here I once, believed my husband when he told me the air needed to be "winterized" in my tires and yet, I have ALWAYS known what those little arrows were for. =)

Trinka said...

Did you really Kristen? I'm impressed!

Must be one of those sub-culture bits of knowledge that people who know, don't really think about, and people who DON'T know, never realize they don't know. :)

Nice to see you Brian!

Deborah said...

Borrowed a truck and lo and behold, I used your little trick to help me pull up on the correct side of the pump!

Trinka said...

Cool! Though it will be nicer when you can trade that borrowed truck back for your cute little Saturn again. :)