Sunday, January 15, 2006

what good is it, anyway?

I've been listening to MP3s of a conference while I'm walking & lifting weights. It's the kind of teaching that brings up all kinds of old issues.

Introspection is needful in life - without it, I can go tripping through existence without a thought about things that matter - sin, repentance, God and providence, who I really am and Who He really is.

However, it can also be a pit into which we stumble, and spend wasted time lost in the dark. I already know myself well enough to know there's nothing profitable hiding in my heart somewhere.

It's hard to know whether a specific instance is the former kind of introspection, or the latter until later in life when you look back. I am praying for direction as to whether this train of thought is one I should stick with, or if I should hop off at the next stop, and look for another.

I've enjoyed time at the gym yesterday, and have been out walking. The sun has actually made an appearance several times recently, and I can tell I've been missing it. A couple years ago, I went to a tanner to prepare for a whitewater rafting trip, and the warmth & light was SUCH a mood-lifter. I'm half-considering going back just for that reason - yet it feels like a frivolous and slightly vain thing to do!

A fellow whose parents attend my church came over, and got my wireless network running, and secured yesterday. It's such a treat! God does spoil me sometimes. :)

Trinka

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trinka, When I am with you, you usually point out something about myself. With friends like you, I don't need introspection. : ) Love, Rachel