Sunday, January 08, 2006

steaks on the grill

I've been working through an online Bible study at www.settingcaptivesfree.com. There are studies related to many different areas - and I've been doing The Lord's Table related to eating & exercise.

It's been a blessing so far. There is a loosely-structured diet that goes along with it, and it has today scheduled as a day to fast.

To the Christian, a fast is more than just a day of hunger-pangs for health's sake - but it's an opportunity to have more time alone with God (since there's no time required for food preparation, consumption, or clean-up). We use the physical sensations of hunger to remind us of our spiritual hunger, and need for the Lord. It heightens our desires to worship, pray and study. Hunger reminds us of those who are hungry ALL the time physically ... due to poverty, or social ills. It reminds us of those who are hungry all the time SPIRITUALLY ... in some cases without even being aware of it. And we're driven to pray for these, and seek God in how to meet those needs.

So as I've been studying today, and been to our worship service, it has been a true blessing. I went for a walk just now, and could smell steaks cooking on a grill. (We've got sunshine today - first time in nearly a month, and everyone's giddy with it, despite the cold.)

The scent of it made me think of how smells tie in with hunger. I wasn't thinking about being physicallly hungry, until I smelled that meat cooking.

I've written here before about 2 Corinthians 2:15
For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing;

But today has me thinking about it again. To those who have been spiritually hungry for so long that they've become accustomed to it ... to those who are so busy, and surrounded by noise, that they can't notice hunger ... maybe the aroma of what they need will pique their hunger. Do I focus on Him, so that I draw others in? I want to!

Trinka

No comments: