Monday, January 02, 2006

finally, a solution!!!

I was trying to clean my shower with a goofy sponge-on-a-stick contraption I'd gotten a few years ago for a project.

The thing shredded, and my bathroom looked MUCH worse quickly!

It made me think about those elderly-people's-gadget-catalogues ... (It didn't come from one, but it's the sort of thing you see in them.)

I think the easiest job in the world would be as an advertising copywriter for those things.

The descriptions all read the same way, "FINALLY, and answer to _____(insert non-existent problem, or ridiculous "danger" here)___." Then they tell you abou this miracle, available for only $9.99.

My two favorite items for meeting non-existent needs:

*in the "imagined problem" category -- a special brush to remove lint from your dryer lint trap (there is actually one of these hanging in my building's laundry room, but I've suffered through removing the lint with my fingers rather than detouring an extra 10 feet to use the special brush.

*in the "imagined danger" category, a can-opener that doesn't make sharp edges on the cans. We all know how dangerous those cans can be. (and as a runner-up in the "imagined problem" contest, you can buy a special device to squeeze the oil out of your tuna, now that your can lid no longer fits.)

(OK ... end of cynicism ... though I may revisit this "ridiculous gadget" line of thought if I see another of those goofy catalogues!)

I had today off, and got to the gym for about an hour - felt good, and I wanted to take advantage of the emptiness of it before the students all come back with New Years' resolutions that will keep the place jam-packed for a month or so.

My internet at home still isn't working - I got the equipment and tried to get it running Friday, but there's something not working on the cable-company's end. I have a tech coming out Friday. We'll see how things go for next weekend. :)

Trinka

No comments: