Sunday, March 02, 2008

on helping

I was paid a great compliment today.

A friend had surgery, and I was over at her house giving her a hand this morning.

I did a little puttering around her kitchen, and just helped out a little here & there.

What was the compliment? She told me she felt "comfortable" with me in her house.

There is a delicate balance in being able to help someone without making them feel mothered or pressured.

I SO appreciate the friends in my life who are gifted at this, and it's a skill I've long wanted to develop.

Obviously everyone has different comfort levels, and so there's no one approach that will make everyone feel "at home" with you doing their dishes, or scooping their cat box ... but I know folks who seem particularly gifted at sensing where the lines are, and what the needs are.

Any time I get a little glimpse that I may have accomplished this in a situation, it gives me hope that I just may be of some use every now & again outside of my office!

1 comment:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Don't forget that you were also labeled "Queen of Fun" this past summer in Pennsylvania!!!