Sunday, July 16, 2006

a little mindless entertainment


Last night was the offroad derby at the Hudsonville Fairgrounds. A friend and I go to these together any time we can, and it was such fun. Not only do I like watching the race, but watching the people who come to the race is even better. :)

There was a group of wanna-be-gangster guys with big diamond earrings and cocked-to-the-side hats. They might have been intimidating if it weren't that they brought a tiny little puppy with them. It had to have been just barely old enough to leave its mother. Watching these big guys tenderly looking after that little puppy was adorable! They were giving it water out of their hands, loving the daylights out of it. It was VERY sweet.

A conspicuous feature of the women in the crowd was the lack of fabric they were wearing. The square footage of skin showing was most striking! (I'm FEMALE and I felt the need to look away because I was embarrassed.)

Which made the group of teenagers in this picture really stand out. They just oozed wholesomeness. They were clean cut, fresh-faced kids, and just seemed to love the daylights out of each other. There was no romance going on that was obvious ... just a group of friends who seemed to love each other's company. Near the end of the derby, when the stands were thinning out, they spread out, and were sitting like this with their arms woven around each other. It was so nice to see. I wish I'd had a real camera along with me, instead of just my cell phone, so the picture would be better!

Got in a walk yesterday before the heat got too bad, but no studying got done. Hoping for some of that after church today.

5 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Did you talk to the kids?
Who were they? What brought them there that night?
Were they in middle school, high school, college, part of a youth group?
What were their plans after the show?

Anonymous said...

First comment sounds like the guy was a newspaper reporter or something.
What's with that?
Nice snapshot of a nice moment.
Thanks.

Carol L said...

Actually, the cell phone gave it an affect that many people spend thousands of dollars in computer equipment and software to get. I say blow the thing up and frame it as art!

Carol L said...

Check your email. I'm working on the Firefox thing...

Trinka said...

Sorry Cliff ... I never answered you!

I don't know anything about the kids, other than that they were either late high school or early college-age, and the man was wearing an Air Force ROTC shirt.