Friday, November 06, 2009

Amazon Kindle vs. Barnes & Noble Nook

I'm considering getting myself either an e-reader, or a new laptop for Christmas this year. (My computer is still working, but starting to get awfully slow for what I'm asking of it.)

In comparing the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook, I'm torn. So I decided to post the positives of each, and see if anyone else had any ideas!

Kindle:
Biggest pro is that it will read the book aloud to you. This is mighty nice. You could be reading something, and hop in your car, and turn on the audio, so you could keep reading while you drove.
Seems to have internet access included - has a rudimentary web browser, so you can use it to go online whereever.

Nook:
S/D slot, so you can add more books, and replaceable battery
You can read samples of the books before you buy them.
Reads multiple types of files, whereas the Kindle only reads what you get from Amazon
You can loan books to others, if you know their email address.

I've checked, and a lot of the old books I love - Stepping Heavenward, Paula the Waldensian, Mrs. Howard Taylor biographies, etc., are available, and are FREE.

The idea of getting books cheaper, and having virtually no storage space required ... this is a real interest for me!

Pondering ....

2 comments:

Clifford Jeffery said...

Don't you also have rights issues between the Kindle and the Nook.
Also, maybe I'm thinkin' of the Sony, but I think one of the readers will not work with PDF.
Have you thought about one of those $400 web notebooks?

Trinka said...

No - I don't think so. I think the Kindle is strictly for Amazon content. The only thing that draws me is the fact it will read me a story. :)

I haven't really looked into the Sony.

I haven't thought about using a netbook just because I don't find that I like reading on a screen very well. But they're saying these readers have a different technology that makes it more like an actual book experience.

As far as a netbook for my next computer - probably not. Just because I use my laptop for photo editing and such-like, and I think the tiny screen would make me crazy(er). :)