Friday, June 19, 2009

the post where my tendancy to obsess becomes obvious

First, the picture:



"Why" you may ask," does a piece of contact paper indicate obsession?"

(or, even if you don't ask ... you're going to hear the answer anyway ... unless you're bored, and drift away to read about John Deere tractors, or check the weather, or look for posts on your Facebook page.)

ANYWAY

The reason the contact paper is significant is because, you may note, it comes very close to matching the fabric on my sofa.

I found this contact paper in a sale bin at Meijers. There were 3 rolls left, and I bought all they had.

I've gotten my kitchen cupboards almost lined, and still have the bathroom to go.

I went back to buy more of the magical-matching paper, and there was none there.

I visited all other Meijers in the area ... no luck.

I tried Walmart and Target.

Nothing.

Most people would have given up at this point, and settled for another paper. This WOULD be the reasonable response.

However this, for some reason, hit my "unreasonable" button.

So I started searching online. No luck.

Those who DIDN'T give up earlier would certainly have given up by now.

But my Grandpa-Smith-obsession-gene had been activated.

I actually wrote to Kittrich (the company that makes contact paper). They said the only store that carries this particular pattern is "Jensen". I've never heard of them, nor do I know where they are. Couldn't find them on the web either.

Yes, we're in high obsession mode now, aren't we?

Kittrich said they could sell me the magical-matching paper, but I'd have to buy a case.

A case. 12 rolls.

I agreed.

I'm going to have more things covered with this stuff than you could possibly imagine. :) (fortunately, buying it wholesale, it's MUCH cheaper - I'm getting a dozen rolls for what I would have spent on just enough to finish my project.)

So ... Grandpa Smith lives on in me. We used to tease that when he would get an idea in his head, he held onto it like a bulldog with a bone. Apparently I have similar characteristics at times. :)

1 comment:

Rachel L said...

Providentially, your obsessive tendencies are balanced by your good taste. I'm thinking you won't be WEARING the paper and it won't be lining the interior of your CAR!