Wednesday, September 10, 2008

communication confusion

subtitled:
how I discovered my sister-in-law's phone doesn't display from whom text messages come!

I texted my delightful sister-in-law to find out how adorable-niece-#1's doctor's appointment went. (Both nieces have selective mutism, and are going to begin treatment for it.)

She responded back with detailed reports, and a great deal of affection, and also mentioned that my absence was probably a contributing factor, but that treatment was promising.

I was thankful for the detailed reports, and I'll be glad to accept affection when I can find it!

(Insert information here ... that my brother was out in the field with Army-training-stuff, and didn't have his cell phone. He had told sister-in-law that he might be able to borrow someone else's phone to check in.)

Starting to get the idea?

Well, from my end, confusion wasn't too bad. There was only one text from her that made it obvious she thought she was talking to my brother.

I assumed she was texting both of us at the same time, and just had sent one to the wrong person.

So I responded back:

"I think that was meant for Cliff?"

This is where sister-in-law's day starts to get weird!

She, thinking she was originally texting my brother, assumes that last message was from "random guy" who had loaned brother his cell phone.

So the rest of the conversation she begins to assume is with "random guy" ... who is quite overly-familiar. Or with returned-to-phone-Cliff ... who doesn't sound at all like himself.

The text conversation ends ... and sister-in-law remains confused.

Until last night, when I again sent her a text message.

Which she now assumes is from either Cliff or random-guy. And doesn't know how to find out which.

A further comedy of errors continues until finally she asks, "who is this." It is then, after MANY messages, I finally think to mention my identity.

All becomes clear to both parties, and much voice-on-phone hilarity ensues.

On other news, I started my new job last night, and am having that first-day, lots-to-learn feeling. But I think I will really enjoy it. Need to find a copy of "Adobe Photoshop for Dummies". :)

1 comment:

Clifford Jeffery said...

LOL! I blogged it too!!!!