Monday, July 07, 2008

things I wish I knew

A blog I read periodically had a post today on things the author wished she knew. It got me thinking along those lines. (surprisingly my list often paralleled hers - we're about the same age, so that may be why.)

It broke down into two categories for me ... things I wished I knew that, in theory, I could learn, and things I wished I knew for which I have no natural aptitude, and very little ability to learn.

The hopeless list first ...

Things I wish I knew for which I have no aptitude:

* Music. I've taken lessons in piano and voice. I've had college classes. I've read. I just don't "get it". There's some fundamental "music section" missing in my brain. I enjoy it, but I know there's a level that other people "get" that I just don't. It's like a color-blind person looking at a garden. They appreciate it, but there's a knowledge of something missing.

* Art. Can't draw. Can't paint. no talent here whatsoever.

Things I don't now, could conceivably learn and would like to know:

* ballroom dancing (how to do it) and ballet (how to appreciate it)

* classic literature - for an English major, there is a great deal I haven't read

* investing - I'm hopeless, but dislike money stuff, so I avoid learning it

* history - I know a great many events, but not the big picture, or dates, and how things interact

* geography - if I don't know someone who's lived there or traveled there, I probably don't know where it is

How about you? Any on your list?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you got your musical talents from your father.
On a good day, I am still not successful in playing a radio.