Wednesday, July 16, 2008

the sad story of the Dremel



I moved into my condo five years ago. At that time, there were many home improvement projects facing me, and one of the tools I thought might be helpful was a Dremel.

So I bought one. Paid a good bit for it, too.

And it's never been out of its case.

This disuse wasn't due to a lack of NEED for the Dremel - on the contrary, there were many projects for which it would have been ideal.

"So," you may ask, "why haven't you used it?"

"Because I read the instructions when I bought it, silly," would be my answer.

You see, if I were to sum up the first few pages of the instructions, it would look something like this:

If you use this tool, it will blind, maim or kill you.


So, you see, I've never touched it. Instead, when I go into my basement storage room, I throw side-long glances at its case, in fear that it will jump down off the shelf and try to bludgeon me when my back is turned.

But ... remember that old saddle I posted about? Well, it has some metal rings and fittings that are just crying out for a Dremel.

No, no. I haven't USED the Dremel.

But I did successfully bring it up from the basement. That's SOMETHING, isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trying to be polite here, but I think your Dremel is much prettier than your birds.

Trinka said...

Poor little critters! They may not be pretty, but there is a great bundle of potential in those ugly little bodies!

Isn't it amazing to look at something so weak and puny, and think of how, for thousands of years, the future of the species has carried on because birds with brains the size of peas somehow know how to raise those scraps of nothing up to the point where they can care for themselves ... know how to fly south for the winter ... know how to raise the next batch.

I find it just amazing.

And ... yeah ... they're ugly too. :)