Saturday, May 30, 2015

In praise of the extroverts ...

After our long hiatus, I'm prompted to re-visit this blog because I was thinking how much I appreciate the extroverts God's plopped into my life.

All this "get to know your introverted characteristics" stuff has been helpful to me these last few years.  (How is it that I love people and yet find myself so eager to go home from every stinkin' party?) But I wonder if all that publicity can lead us to forget just how much the opposites contribute?

So last night I went to a hockey game (stop ... take a breath ... really), and I had a delightful time, in large part because the entire weight of all the social stuff landed square on Phil, my neighbor, who went with me.    (the same one who owns a pirate costume ... just in case it might come in handy ... you never know when you might need a pirate costume)

I think back at the traveling, the parties, projects and studies ... and what a joy it's been to have friends who  would not only break the ice, but also warm up the water a bit, so I could dive in and enjoy the conversation without doing the work. My sister-in-law, who always sees a reason to celebrate; Pastor Baker, who seemed to enjoy the challenge of dealing with cranky customer service people; Deborah, who attracts these amazing conversations, and unusual people when we travel together; Bonnie, who always welcomes one more to their table; Lois, Ruth and Tillie Pell, who found it odd that anyone would knock, and greeted every entering guest like a soldier home from war. 

I appreciate the people who, in so many different ways, revel in their liberty to dance for the cameras ... and allow me the freedom not to!

No comments: